Sunday, July 3, 2011

Baby Biby

Making the baby bibs were an easy project to tackle. All you need is adorable fabric, terry cloth, a little velcro, and a cute button! I also used scotch guard on the decorative fabric so that all the food that hits the bib would not ruin the fabric... I now know that is the ONE and ONLY purpose of a bib. I'm still in the making things for the cute factor not always the most practical.

First, find a bib pattern that you like. I used google and decided on this pattern, but there are tons of other options. Pin the pattern to your fabric. (My pattern is only half so I had to fold my fabric and put the middle flush to the fold.) Cut the fabric around the pattern excluding the fold. Repeat for the terry cloth backing.


Pin the decorative fabric to the terry cloth. Remember to put the exterior fabric facing the inside. Sew a 1/4 inch seam around the bib EXCEPT for a opening about 2 inches long. I make my gap in the neck strap of the bib so that it would be hidden. This gap is so that you can turn the bib right side out. The bigger the gap the more hand sewing you will have to do. Turn the bib inside out and fold the edges of the gap closed. I usually pin the gap closed making it easier to neatly sew the edges closed. Cut two pieces of velcro and attach to the top and bottom of opposing neck straps to clasp the bib. Attach your button on the top neck strap for a decorative touch!


 Like I said earlier, I used scotch guard to seal the fabric from food stains. I got the scotch guard from a fabric store. Spray the bib until visibly wet, let dry and then repeat.


That's all there is to making an inexpensive, easy, adorable present for a mother-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment