Sunday, July 3, 2011

Onesie Wonderland

All babies wear and need plenty of onesies so why not make them personalized to what you like? I bought a pack of plain onesies and cut out designs that I like out of fabric that I love! It's so easy and you can do it too. Here's what I did...

The first design is twisted "blush and bashful" rosettes. Cut a strip of fabric and weight one end down under any object that you can find. Twist the fabric as tight or loose as you like with the design side of the fabric facing outward. (If the wrong side is facing out, twist in the opposite direction.) Hot glue the end of the twisted fabric into itself. Continue to hot glue and roll the fabric until the rosette is the size that you want. Hand stitch the rosette to the onesie. I also made a matching headpiece!

 


The second design is an "e" and the third is a cupcake. Draw the design on the fabric. Use HEAT'N'BOND, you can buy from Wal-Mart or a fabric store, to attach the design to the onesie. Cut a piece of the iron-on adhesive to size of the design. Iron on the fabric to adhesive. Cut out the design. (The adhesive will keep fabric from fraying when you cut it.) Peel the adhesive backing off and iron fabric onto the onesie in desired location. I hand sewed a decorative stitch around the design, but it is not necessary if you buy "no sew" adhesive.

The third design is a heart and the fourth design is my favorite, a little love bird. I made the flower head piece by cutting out flower petals and attaching the petals together by hand stitching, finishing with a button. The bow head piece is simply a folded piece of fabric with a smaller piece wrapped around it in the center. I folded the edges down and ran it through the sewing machine to avoid fraying edges.


 Finished products! All this project needed was a little creativity and time! I'm all about inexpensive adorable projects! I hope you will try to applique something to give it your personal touch!


No comments:

Post a Comment